Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge
Better Have a Pass When You Cross That Bridge

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Brooklyn born and raised



Every time someone asks where I am from, I say "New York", they say "What part?" I say "Brooklyn", they say "Ohhh." I am from Brooklyn, New York and some people say they can tell before I even speak. They see it in the way I dress, in my attitude, in the way I move. I can't help it. Brooklyn is where I was born and raised.

There are times, however, when people do try to compete and tell me that wherever they are from is better than New York, and often better than Brooklyn. I have heard people say that NY is too impersonal, that people are rude, cab drivers are the worst. My response to them is that NY is the best preparation for the world abroad. It is a place that teaches you how not to get your feelings hurt, how to move on from something quickly and efficiently, and how to get where you need to be without others being in your way. Yes, NY is fast paced, but I just think other places need to catch up.

When people think of NY, they think of the rats. There are rats, and they may be the size of raccoons, but come on. You have to expect a little bit of culture everywhere. LOL. So what I want to know is, what makes Brooklyn "Brooklyn" for you if are from Brooklyn and what makes wherever you are from better if you are not?

6 comments:

  1. what makes brooklyn "brooklyn"? the fact that you can go to a different neighborhood within the borough and its like you entered a new city... in bushwick you'll find the latinos, in flatbush you'll find the haitians and jamaicans, in bay ridge you'll find the italians and russians.... you can't find that kind of diversity in any of the other boroughs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm from West-Oakland, California, representing the left coast, and proud of my ghetto fabolous culture, also. Hyphy business, supra-slang ebonics, and scrapers bikes on dubbs. We're not San Francisco, and we're not LA, but we've done just as much damaged in terms of art and imagination. You've most probably seen us on the news for things you wish you never saw; But sometimes, things just happen. Home is home, and that's where the heart is.

    -I've visited a part of Brooklyn and the many other burrows of New York. Personally, I remember it being that all I could think about and picture when I was there was the two old movies of "Kids," and "Requiem for a Dream-." Nonetheless, I had a great tour guide, and an even greater time and experience going through the cutts of Brooklyn, Manhattan, and others. Still, nothing beats the simplicity of Home, that's here.

    It will always bee where my honey's at. :-}

    Concluding, it's much Good to have a like-minded friend out there on the RightCoast-! Big ups!

    &Rip Pac. Rip BIG. 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  3. North Carolina has fresh air, southern hospitality, deliciously greasy food, and let's not forget the southern gentleman ;-)

    While Brooklyn has it's own host of idiosyncratic appeals, I'd say that the most appeal comes from the mindset you have.

    Both places are great, it just depends on what your looking to get out of your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Bay Area? It has to be the people. The kindness in strangers eyes as they pass you in the street. The man who helps you pick up all you quarters when you accidently turn your wallet upside down. The way the sun glistens off of the smiles of couples in the park. We are happy people. Always laughing, living, loving. We appreciate the small things. The way the grass feels against our shins; The way the San Francisco bay freezes our toes; The way the lights of downtown reflect off of the night sky.

    As for Brooklyn? I think you guys could take a lesson from us. DON'T GET OFFENDED, but you guys don't smile enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooklyn is Brooklyn because of the dollar vans that arent a dollar anymore and the junction where you can eat all forms of poison within a 3 block range and downtown where u can get sneakers jewelry bags and who knows what else in the same store. where you can drive across the borough and interact with every culture imaginable. i love it!!!

    ReplyDelete